Where are those BlackBerry Boys?

J
ohn Chen, a renowned turnaround artist in the corporate world, has the reins of the
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) pioneer – BlackBerry Ltd. BlackBerry, which so far as I know, was one of the first companies to conceptualize the Next Generation mobile phones (and smart phones) on the advent of 21st Century. I still remember that ad “We are the BlackBerry Boys”, even though it was kind of creepy. Known for its kickass reliable and secure software and bold hardware features, BlackBerry still have some life left inside.


BlackBerry Passport
Recently, BlackBerry launched its new ‘renegade ‘Smartphone, christened ‘Passport’ simultaneously at its major markets, I suppose – Toronto, London, and Dubai. When everything is moving on-screen, theory propounded by Steve Jobs’ idea of human touch on the screen and doing away with the stylus and stuffs… Blackberry is turning back… May be that’s why they called Chen a ‘turnaround’ artist! While all the Smartphone makers (including Apple) are moving towards larger, rectangular screen having larger length-to-breadth ratio, BlackBerry has squared up with Passport. The physical keyboard is cool – you can type or just swoosh your finger to swiftly navigate. And again I can recall one ad, may be of Nokia this time… “Type or Touch… It’s got both” (The tagline may not be the exact). We gotta see whether this both Type and Touch-Square feature of BlackBerry can do the magic for John Chen or not.

BlackBerry Logo
Let’s go back to retrospect for a while. BlackBerry entered into the tablet arena with its bold “BlackBerry Playbook”. And some six months ago, I guess, it had a new update to its firmware. Even though BlackBerry Playbook was not so much of hit in the market, I still love it. I just love its multitasking feature. What it could have done to expand its market is to make its Appworld accessible globally. BlackBerry has restricted the access to its Appworld via some countries. Nepal, Thailand, Russia (may be) are some countries hurt by its policy. At the time when BlackBerry is losing its market share rapidly, it should have taken more liberal approach towards its Appworld accessibility. I have a BlackBerry Playbook, but I cannot use the applications available in the Appworld. (I hear that its Appworld sucks! Maybe they are embarrassed about it. God knows!) However, thanks to geeks, I can sideload some android apps via DDPB installer, even though most of the apps don’t function properly. All I do with my PlayBook is to read “PlayBoy” magazine. No... Just kidding… Seriously! But I gotta say, PlayBook got the best clarity tablet camera ever. And the positioning of the lens is brilliant! And its Chrome logo behind… I love BlackBerry logo! And don’t get me started on its software QNX… I hear that it is used to run the jet fighters too! How cool is that??


©LinkinMyth: My Generation – BlackBerry Launches new Smartphone Passport; BlackBerry PlayBook

Comments

Post a Comment