[SOLVED] My WiFi Stopped working after Windows 10 Version 2004 Update

wifi not working

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, I have never looked back (apart from dual booting with Kali Linux, but that’s another story). I have been very loyal to Windows Update and always made sure my machine has the latest updates from Microsoft because with every new release, I was excited to find some new features and functions in the System Tray (which the Microsoft calls Notification Area, located on the right side of the task bar). Hotspot and VPN were the coolest addition for me.

 

Everything was going great, except from some few trivial issues that didn’t matter. But something happened with the recent Windows Update. If I am not wrong, it must be Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 (in my case x64-based Systems KB4566782). It cut me off from the internet, partially. Partially, in a sense that I could still connect to internet, but only via Ethernet. Wi-Fi Adapter stopped working, I guess.

 

If you want to go straight to the solution that worked and don’t want go through this preamble, then scroll down to find “What really worked?”

 

My Router was working fine. I could access internet in other devices. But the post-Windows Update led to my Network Adapters malfunctioning. I even tried using external wireless adapter to check if my inbuilt adapter has gone mad. Nope. The external wireless adapter also didn’t do any help. The problem was when I clicked on the “Internet” icon on right end of the task bar, it didn’t open up anything above it where it should have opened up the options for the internet and wireless functions like Airplane Mode and Wi-Fi On/Off. I tried to access it from the Notification Area, but even the Notification Area wouldn’t open up.

Notification Area
Notification Area (System Tray)

 It was really frustrating. Then I tried updating the Driver, but I had the latest required version of the Network Driver. I tried Microsoft Troubleshoot, and all it says: You have no preferred wireless networks. I tried Network Reset. Still No Luck. I searched in the Google for possible solutions, but none did any help.

 

What really worked?

Finally, I decided to try uninstalling the Windows 10 Version 2004 Update. And then I restarted the machine. And Voila… My Wi-Fi is back and works fine. Of course, I had to add the network again (Remember, I did Network Reset). But, it worked. And the Notification Area works well again.

 

This might be a rare case where I had to resolve the bug in the Windows Update by uninstalling the Buggy Update, in this case Windows 10 Version 2004 (May 2020) Update. The problem was specifically related to wireless connectivity issues. I think, the best thing to do is to wait until the quality and stable update is released by the Microsoft for Windows 10.

 

In order to uninstall the recent updates, you can just do it by going to Settings>Update & Security> Windows Update>View Update History. Look for the latest Cumulative Update and uninstall it. Restart. And your Wi-Fi should just work fine.

 

Let me know if this solution worked for you too.

Welcome to the Club.

 

Good Luck.

 

©Linking the Myths 2020: Solved: My Wifi stopped working after Windows 10 Update.


Comments